Layne has fostered kittens and worked in animal shelters for over 8 years.
Best Name Ideas for Grey Cats or Kittens
Are you looking for a name for your visually striking and intelligent gray cat? Gray cats are known for being outgoing, smart, calm, social, and observant. They tend to have blue, green, or gold eyes and may be gray and white with white accents on the paws or chest. Oftentimes, they are simply solid gray (grey) or blue-gray, especially if they are of the following breeds:
Common Gray Cat Breeds
- Russian Blue
- Oriental (longhair or shorthair)
- Norwegian Forest Cat
Now that we've gotten to know the most common breeds of this color, let's dig into some of the best names for gray cats. This list includes fun names, classic names, creative names, badass names, unisex names, smart names, and names for males and females. Happy searching!
What's the Difference Between "Gray" and "Grey"?
"Gray" is the common American English spelling of the word/color, whereas "grey" is the common British English spelling. They mean the same thing.
Names Ideas for Female Gray Cats
Badass Names for Gray Kittens
Pretty Names Gray Kittens
Name Ideas for Male Gray Cats
Clever Name Ideas
Intelligent Cat Names
Best Names for Gray Cats
© 2019 Laynie H
Laynie H (author) from Bend, Oregon on February 25, 2020:
Hi J, Argo is great! Love it!
j on February 17, 2020:
How about Argo?
Laynie H (author) from Bend, Oregon on December 06, 2019:
Hi Liz, I appreciate you checking out these names for these cool breeds!
Liz Westwood from UK on December 06, 2019:
You have compiled a thorough and detailed list of names. This is very helpful for anyone looking for a name for a cat.
Laynie H (author) from Bend, Oregon on December 01, 2019:
Hi Lora, thanks for the read! I love the name Bogie! It is absolutely true that in most cases, cats rule! That's the dynamic in our household currently. Sometimes our sweet dog looks at us with fear in his eyes when "kitty" comes around . other times they are playing. I met a true Russian Blue a while back and this cat was so smart!!! So glad you liked this list.
Lora Hollings on November 30, 2019:
This article has some purrfect names for gray cats! I had a beautiful gray cat that I adopted from a shelter and I named him Beauregard. How's that for a name? I called him Bogie for short. He was a big guy with a larger than life personality. He certainly fit your description of the personality of a gray cat. He was very outgoing, not afraid of anything, smart and funny too! He loved to put his feet into my slippers and he would go right up to my large dog and hiss at him if Andy wanted to play and he didn't! But then at times, he would chase the dog all over the house. There was no doubt who ruled! I just love the names that you have selected for these special cats. Next time I adopt a gray cat, I will use one of these names! Great job.
Female Ginger Name
- Annie-Little Orphan Annie with a red head
- Ariel– This little Disney Mermaid has reddish-orange hair
- Apri– Appricot fruits are orange-yellow
- Butterscotch-This sweet confection makes a perfect name for a sweet cat with an orange coat
- Caramel– This dark orange confection makes a sweet name for a cute kitten
- Chilli– This pepper comes in varieties of red and orange
- Cheyenne-This orange pepper is good for the heart
- Chipmunk– For a cute cat with an orange stripe on the side
- Dono– Claudia Donovan’s hair is orange in color
- Firefur– A lovely name for a cat with fur that looks like it’s on fire
- Firefly– For a joyous kitten who brightens your life
- Igni– Short form for ignite
- Ignis– Means fire in Latin
- Jeruk– Means orange in Indonesia
- Kamala– Means orange in Bengali
- Kumquat– This small edible fruit makes a wonderful name for an orange-haired cat
- Ladybug– Suits a cheerful cat who brings you good luck
- Lilie-Like the tiger orange flowers
- Lois-Name your cat after the orange-haired Lois Graffin
- Macaroni-This tasty pasta makes a lovely name for a ginger cat
- Maitai-For the love of this orange cocktail
- Marmalade-This name reminds you of your favorite fruit preserve
- Mayo– Mayo sauce used in dressing is light orange
- Merida – Princess Merida in the film Brave has long orange hair
- Pippi Longstocking– Suits a super strong and playful cat with a red coat
- Roughy– This name reminds you of the scary-looking orange fish
- Sherbet– For the love of this frozen orange dessert
- Sophie– Sophie Turner of Game of Thrones has orange hair
- Sunshine– For a cat who makes your life exiting
- Sunkissed– Suits a cheerful cat with a bright orange coat
- Sweet Potato– Ideal for a sweet cat with a soft heart
- Tangerine– Name her after your favorite sweet orange fruit
- Tann– Suits a cat that likes to sunbathe
- Weasley– Molly Weasley in the Harry Potter series is red-haired
Female Scottish Cat Names
And if you’re welcoming a girl cat into your home, these female Scottish names are beautiful, authentic and unique. Any cat would be lucky to have one of these names.
Take a look at this list and see what you think.
Badass Cat Names
Sometimes, everyone can agree on a name that is purrfect for their cat! If your cat is rebellious by nature, or is a real cheeky kitten, then why not give them one of these names?
Here are some of the most popular badass cat names. This means that, like us, so many other people think that these names make their ferocious felines a force to be reckoned with!
Take your pick from the fifty best names below two of our favorites are Luna and Simba! What are yours?
Our Favorite Name
From Disney’s The Lion King, this name is really badass as you’ll have your very own pawsome King of Pride Rock
- Duchess – This cat name seems like a beautiful aristocrat (thanks for the pun, Disney)
- Leia – For a strong and independent kitty, just like Princess Leia
10 Best Names For Grey Cats
Ali is a writer, editor & proud Corgi mom with diverse experience across educational publishing & entertainment blogging.
This unisex name is a great choice for a grey cat and makes a more interesting alternative to more common names like Ash and Smokey. It also gives you the option – if you have a girl cat and are into Disney – to nickname your little princess Cinderella.
Earl Grey tea is one of the world’s most popular choices for a good cuppa. The tea was named after Charles Grey, the 2nd Earl Grey and British Prime Minister from 1830 to 1834. If you have a grey boy who you treat like royalty, Earl would make an excellent choice. This is especially true for a British Shorthair with the “British Blue” coloring: a solid blue-grey coat with orange eyes.
Freya (or Freyja) was the Norse goddess of fertility and domesticity, and her chariot was pulled by two blue-grey cats. These cats were a gift to Freya from Thor, the Norse god of thunder and lightning. Freya would make a noble name for any blue-grey cat, especially a cathletic type.
This famous Lord of the Rings character (also known as Gandalf the Grey) is one of the most badass wizards around. Gandalf would make a great name for your grey kitty, but would be especially fitting for a rescue senior who is brave and wise beyond his years. If you have the ability to do so, consider adopting a senior cat. Many seniors are special needs and often get overlooked for younger cats or kittens, but they have so much love to give.
Any cat parents who enjoy the occasional vodka drink might want to consider Goose (as in Grey Goose) as a name for their new grey kitty. Goose is also a fun choice for Marvel fans who may recognize Goose as the name of Carol Danvers’s cat in Captain Marvel – although I use the term “cat” loosely…
Grigio is the Italian word for “grey,” and for wine aficionados it is one half of the delicious whole that is Pinot Grigio. Of course, this white wine is not grey Pinot Grigio is named that because the skin of the grapes used to make it (the Pinot Gris varietal) have a bluish-grey tint. For wine lovers who enjoy this Italian white, Grigio is a fitting name for your grey kitty.
One of the rarest coat colors in cats is lilac (also called lavender). While it appears as a very light and slightly purple-hued grey, it is actually a result of a dilution of the gene for a chocolate coat, which is itself a rare mutation of the black coat gene. If you’re lucky enough to find a lilac girl, Lavender could be the prrrfect name for her.
Fans of the Shondaland original TV show Grey’s Anatomy will immediately associate anything grey with the show’s main character, Meredith Grey. Grammy-winning singer/songwriter Taylor Swift certainly did when she named her adorable Scottish Fold, Meredith Grey. Whether you choose to stick with just Meredith or go with the full name like Swift did, Meredith is a lovely choice for your grey kitty.
Pepper is one of the most common name choices for a grey cat, but why not spice it up a bit and go with Sgt. Pepper? Classic rock aficionados know that The Beatles’ legendary Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album was a game changer for rock-and-roll, so why not give your little grey kitty a name as cool as he is?
If you’ve got a grey cat who follows you around wherever you go, you may have yourself a little Shadow. This is a great unisex choice for a grey kitty that can’t get enough of their human, especially one of the more affectionate breeds like Ragdolls, Scottish Folds, Maine Coons, Persians, and American Shorthairs.